Minnesota Land Cover 1991-92: Map
This printed poster-size map depicts classes of vegetative land cover as derived from
1991-92 satellite imagery. See below for ordering information.
The map was created by the Resource
Assessment Unit of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and is a derivative product of the federal
Gap Analysis Program
(GAP), a nationwide effort to prioritize and focus conservation work. The
GAP vegetation project is the first to use satellite images to map
Minnesota vegetation community types at the 1-acre level of detail while
employing a uniform statewide analysis protocol and vegetation typology.
The map also describes and shows the boundaries of
Ecological Classification System sections.
Land cover classes
The detailed computer database* on which the map is based contains 49
classes of vegetation in mapping units as small as 1 acre. For display at
the map scale (1:563,200), the classes have been condensed to 11, and the
smallest vegetation unit shown is about 5 acres. The state's total area is
about 54 million acres.
- Upland Conifer Forest: Chiefly pine dominated, some
upland spruce and balsam fir, often in mixture with hardwoods.
- Upland Deciduous Forest: Mainly aspen/birch,
maple/basswood and oaks. (9,503,784 acres)
- Lowland Conifer Forest: Mostly tamarack, black spruce
and white-cedar, sometimes in mixture with hardwoods. (2,852,801 acres)
- Lowland Deciduous Forest: Mainly ash, elm, cottonwood
and silver maple. (691,383 acres)
- Shrub: Low-growing woody vegetation. (3,908,093 acres)
- Developed Land: Urban and built-up areas dominated by
buildings, roads and other impervious surfaces. (826,251 acres)
- Barren Land: Sparsely vegetated, including rock
outcrops and mining lands. (182,818 acres)
- Grassland: Non-cultivated herbaceous vegetation,
including prairie. (5,179,811 acres)
- Cropland: Under cultivation. (23,894,280 acres)
- Water: Open water. (3,139,900 acres)
- Marsh: Wetland with minimal tree cover, often dominated
by sedge or cattail. (2,033,168 acres)
Specifications and ordering information
- Size: 50" x 42"
- Scale: 1:563,200
- Price: Postage included (note: maps are shipped rolled)
- Photographic paper: $25.00
- Plain paper: $15.00
- Method of payment: DNR accepts Visa and MasterCard by
phone, check or credit by mail. Checks should be made out to "Department
of Natural Resources".
- Contact information:
DNR Resource Assessment
413 SE 13th Street
Grand Rapids, MN 55744
Specify "Minnesota Land Cover Map"
*Note: The GIS data used to make the map is free online in
several formats; click
here and see the "GAP Land Cover" section.
Return to MnGeo's main Land Use/Cover page