Explore Minnesota with maps online
*** NorthStar Mapper Retired October 31, 2016 ***
NorthStar Mapper was built on older technology that MnGeo could no longer maintain, so it retired on October 31, 2016. Unfortunately, no resources are currently available to create a replacement site using new technology.
Suggestions for other websites that can perform many of NorthStar Mapper’s functions:
- Display recent and historical air photos
- Display overlay info such as roads, lakes and streams, place names and public land survey boundaries
- Display topographic maps as a background
- Get a high-quality graphic (PNG format) of the map display
- Find out where a Public Land Survey (PLS) township/range/section is located. Type the township, range and, optionally, the section you'd like to display into the “Place” search box using the format: TxxxRxxSx (e.g., T137R44 or T137R44S5).
- Minnesota Historical Aerial Photographs Online:
- Display digital copies of Minnesota air photos (1920-2000) found in the library's collection and available from DNR's Landview online map described above.
- Find the elevation of a point
- Display a shaded elevation background
- Minnesota Geospatial Commons
- Find and download numerous geospatial datasets for Minnesota
- Minnesota Geospatial Image Service
- Display air photos, hillshades and topographic maps using a Web Map Service (WMS). The webpage explains how to use a WMS.
- DNR Export to Image tool (requires ArcGIS 10 software)
- Clip and save imagery
- Article describing the tool’s features
If you have questions or comments about NorthStar Mapper, especially if you cannot find a replacement for a function it performed, please let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org