Explore Minnesota with maps online
*** NorthStar Mapper Retiring October 31, 2016 ***
NorthStar Mapper is built on older technology that MnGeo can no longer maintain, so it will retire on October 31 (or earlier since it has become very unstable and may shut down suddenly). Unfortunately, no resources are currently available to create a replacement site using new technology.
Suggestions for other websites that can perform many of NorthStar Mapper’s functions:
- Display recent and historical air photos
- Display overlay info such as roads, lakes and streams, place names and public land survey boundaries
- Display topographic maps as a background
- Get a high-quality graphic (PNG format) of the map display
- Find out where a Public Land Survey (PLS) township/range/section is located. Type the township, range and, optionally, the section you'd like to display into the “Place” search box using the format: TxxxRxxSx (e.g., T137R44 or T137R44S5).
- Find the elevation of a point
- Display a shaded elevation background
- Minnesota Geospatial Commons
- Find and download numerous geospatial datasets for Minnesota
- Minnesota Geospatial Image Service
- Display air photos, hillshades and topographic maps using a Web Map Service (WMS). The webpage explains how to use a WMS.
- DNR Export to Image tool (requires ArcGIS 10 software)
- Clip and save imagery
- Article describing the tool’s features
If you have questions or comments about NorthStar Mapper, especially if you cannot find a replacement for a function it performed, please let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org