Mission and Work Plan
- Mission: The 3DGeo Hydrologic Landforms and Hydrography
Workgroup of the 3D Geomatics Committee exists to promote the consistent
development of Minnesota's hydrography data and to enable data exchange through
coordination, cooperation and standards development.
- 2018 Work Plan
- Reenergize work and learn from where legacy Hydrography Committee left off in 2011
- Plan for an integrated approach to statewide hydrography data
- Formally recognize authoritative statewide datasets
- Establish process for data maintenance and updates
- Plan for integration of National Wetland Inventory data as base element for hydrography basin features
- Plan for future maintenance and stewardship of Minnesota Watershed Boundaries
- Establish standards to guide LiDAR derived hydrography products
- Use committee setting to build appropriate set of common attributes for LiDAR derived hydrography
- Plan for development, use, and sharing of digital dam breach lines
and culvert inventories that facilitate LiDAR data development
- Andrea Bergman, GIS Hydrologist, MNIT DNR, 651-259-5690, email@example.com
- Rick Moore, LiDAR Data Steward, MNIT DNR, 507-389-8810, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jamie Schulz, GIS Specialist, MNIT DNR,
- Short bios
- Contact information:
|Ann Banitt||Army Corps of Engineersemail@example.com|
|Andrea Bergman||MNIT Department of Natural Resourcesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jen Crea||MNIT Pollution Control Agencyemail@example.com|
|Thomas Hollenhorst||US Environmental Protection Agencyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Brandon Krumwiede||National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administrationemail@example.com|
|Rick Moore||MNIT Department of Natural Resourcesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jessica Nelson||Water Resource Center, MN State University, Mankatoemail@example.com|
|Christiane Roy||USDA - Natural Resources Conservation Servicefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kiah Sagami||Houston Engineering, Inc.||email@example.com|
|Jamie Schulz||MNIT Department of Natural Resourcesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Aaron Spence||MNIT Board of Water and Soil Resourcesemail@example.com|
|Sean Vaughn||MNIT Department of Natural Resourcesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Data Catalog Subgroup
Authoritative Statewide Datasets
- MN Watercourses – MNDNR Hydrography - Streams with Kittle Numbers and Mile Measures
- MN Water Basins – MNDNR Hydrography - Lakes and Open Water
- National Wetland Inventory (NWI)
Data and Application Resources
- MnTOPO: A web application for viewing, printing and downloading high-resolution elevation data for Minnesota collected using LiDAR technology
- LiDAR info and download page for Minnesota LiDAR data and derived products, including links to education and training resources
- US Interagency Elevation Inventory: A comprehensive, nationwide listing of known high-accuracy topographic and bathymetric data for the United States and its territories
- NOAA’s Data Access Viewer: The Data Access Viewer allows a user to search for and download elevation, imagery, and land cover data for the coastal U.S. and its territories.
- NOAA’s Lake Level Viewer: The data and maps in this tool illustrate the scale of potential flooding or land exposure at a given water level, not the exact location.
- USACE Dredge Survey and Map Data: Source for data acquired by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers including boundary, topographic, hydrographic, terrestrial LiDAR, and multispectral and hyperspectral aerial imagery collection as well as airborne topographic and bathymetric LiDAR acquisition.
- Culvert Inventory Application Suite: The DNR Culvert Inventory Application Suite is comprised of 4 related components for the collection, storage, edit/review and distribution of stream crossings, culverts, bridges, and breach line data. It was developed by the MNDNR GeoSpatial Water Resources Team (GeoWRT) in partnership with DNR MNIT professional services staff. This application is available to DNR staff and external partners (free registration required).
- MN DNR Basins and Watersheds: A standardized set of watersheds was developed by the DNR in 1979. This Watershed Mapping Project delineated 81 Major Watersheds covering the state and around 5600 Minor Watersheds that comprised these Major Watersheds.
- Hydromodified DEM status map: A story map created by Houston Engineering, Inc. to show the status of DEM hydroconditioning and product development for the PTMApp application (a tool to prioritize, target and measure best management and conservation practices to improve water quality).
- Interim Guidance on Acquisition of Culvert Data
- Hydrographic Position Index Technical Report: Combining LiDAR-derived DEM analysis, raster classification and color symbology for pseudo-3D terrain visualization to enhance hydrography interpretation on the DEM landscape
- Glossary of LiDAR-related Terms
- 2008 National Environmental Information Exchange Network (NEIEN) Project Report, June 2014: This report explored integrating the multiple statewide hydrography datasets of Minnesota.
list of Standards and Guidelines available through the Standards Committee
of the Minnesota Geospatial Advisory Council web page
Hydrography Project Examples
|National Hydrography Dataset (NHD)||MnGeo||Performed updates to and tests of Minnesota's portion of the NHD. NHD is the United States Geological Survey’s digital representation of the nation's surface water features such as lakes, rivers and streams that are networked together for display, analysis and planning purposes.||MnGeo|
|Cultural Corridors||MnGeo||Created maps of river courses used by Indian Tribes for travel (cultural corridors)||MnGeo|
|Various State Flood Emergencies||MnGeo||Prepared river gage, inundation and county emergency remediation maps and participated in real-time GIS-related monitoring of state flooding events at the State Emergency Operation Center (SEOC).||MnGeo|
|National Environmental Information Exchange Network (NEIEN) 2008 Project||MnGeo||Researched and documented the processes necessary for moving Minnesota to a single GIS hydrographic dataset for all state and federal agencies.||MnGeo|
|Altered Watercourse Project||MnGeo||Digitized all visible human-modified streams of the state using NHD and various aerial imagery and data layers for Minnesota Pollution Control Agency biological monitoring and assessment activities.||MnGeo|
|Buffer Mapping Project||DNR/BWSR||The GIS portion of Minnesota's buffer law is to produce and maintain a map of public waters and public ditch systems that require permanent vegetation buffers. The map is helping to guide the implementation of Minnesota's buffer law by landowners, with the help of the Board of Water and Soil Resources (BWSR), Soil and Water Conservation Districts (SWCDs), Drainage Authorities and other local governments.||Andrea Bergman|
Previous committees that worked on related issues
Return to 3D Geomatics Committee page