Maps and Geographic Data: Red River Flood 2010
This page is being updated since many 2010 links
In the meantime, see the Minnesota Flooding 2011 webpage.
This list was compiled by the Emergency Preparedness Committee with support from MnGeo.
Featured Maps | Maps for Responders | Recent Imagery | Road Closures | Weather | Webcams | Reference Maps | State/Fed EM Flood Info | In the News | County Info | WMS Services | Password Sites | Flood History
SharedGeo Red River Valley Viewer
The SharedGeo Red River Valley Viewer was created by partners and data providers from the Upper Midwest GIS communities. It is a conceptual site that is being demonstrated to the greater Minnesota emergency preparedness and response communities, as well as the general public, for the first time. Features, data, and utility will be continuously upgraded during the event.
- Regular updates to satellite imagery as they become available
- Animated updates with aerial imagery added as the data becomes available
- CAP (ARCHER) captured aerial photography as it becomes available
- U. S. National Grid (USNG): Spatially referenced layer linked
to pre-built and build-on-request (8.5" x 11") situational maps for the
Red River valley area
- These map are available at 100 kilometer, 10 kilometer and (by request if unavailable) at 1 kilometer scales
- Dynamic printing (to PDF) for scales below 1 kilometer via a web browser based on USNG boundaries
- NOAA River Gage Information:
- Spatially referenced points in the map linked to NOAA and the National Weather Service's Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service
- Elevation: 2-foot contour lines created by the International Water Institute
- Weather Nexrad and NOAA
website created by Houston Engineering.
Viewable layers include:
- Elevation: 2-foot contour lines created from 2008 LiDAR data by the International Water Institute
- Air photos:
- Minnesota 2008, 2003, 1991-2
- North Dakota 2005, 2003, 1990s
- Fargo 2006
- Cass County 2004
- 1997 flood extent, approximate
- Weather Nexrad
- Topographic quad maps from the U.S. Geological Survey
- Basemap reference information
River Basin Flood Forecast Display Tool from the Red River Basin
Decision Information Network.
Includes "Search by Address" capability.
Maps showing the U.S. National Grid (USNG), produced by
the Governor's Council Emergency Preparedness Committee's Go Team.
- PDF maps include 100K, 10K, and 1K USNG grid squares (each shows progressively more detail over smaller areas), town maps, incident site maps, and Mn/DOT city and county highway maps. There are zip files for each map product that contain all the PDFs for that product.
- When starting to use the site, check the Map Inventory and the Learn to use the Maps links
- ArcMap 9.3 projects and data used to created each map product are bundled for download
Background info on the USNG
of the City of Moorhead, Minnesota, produced by Clay County GIS
PDF maps of many topics including dikes, levees, and sandbags, contours and flood stages, flooded homes, road closures, evacuation plans, Red Cross shelters, corporate foster care sites and long term care/assisted living sites, the Oakport area, and overall maps of the city.
Maps of the City of Fargo, North Dakota, produced by the City of
Fargo GIS Department
PDF maps of many topics including floodplains, approximate levee locations, contingency evacuation plans, elevation, and air photos.
- Minnesota Topographic Maps (Tons of Maps Online website)
View U.S. Geological Survey topographic maps online: 1:24,000, 1:100,000 and 1:250,000 scales.
U.S. Geological Survey’s Hazards Data Distribution System (HDDS)
Directory of all Minnesota and North Dakota GIS and imagery related files currently available through the USGS distribution system. Most are VERY large files for professional use within specific GIS applications. Here are the currently available files appropriate for viewing by the general public:
- Maps with road closures (PDF format): Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Weather Briefing and Radar for Eastern North Dakota and Northwest Minnesota, from NOAA
Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: NOAA and National
- KXJB-TV SkyCam – Fargo
- U.S. Stream Fargo Flood CAM – The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead – Fargo
- WDAY – Still CAM Shots – Fargo and Grand Forks
Fargo Interstate 94 Red River Bridge
- University of North Dakota – Grand Forks, ND
- WDAY – Still CAM Shots – Fargo and Grand Forks
Forks County – Flood Cam
Minnesota Department of Transportation
State Highway Map (PDF, 5 MB)
- North of Fargo (PDF, 607 K)
- County Maps
- City Maps
- Interactive BaseMap: View, save and print statewide maps; download transportation data
- Northwest Minnesota Aeronautical Chart (PDF, 1.9 MB)
- Interactive Airports Map (PDF, 253K)
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
- Clay County Maps On-Line (County, City Interactive Map Hub)
- Clay County Highway Map (PDF, 1 MB)
- Norman County Highway Map (PDF, 716 K)
Polk County Highway Map (PDF, 4 MB)
- Minnesota Spring Flooding Activation: MN State Emergency Operations Center
North Dakota Flooding
Information: ND Department of Emergency Services
Federal Emergency Management Agency
- North Dakota Severe Storms and Flooding
- Minnesota: FEMA has not yet declared an emergency in Minnesota as of March 18, 2010.
- Star Tribune Red River Valley Flooding Information
- The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead
- The St. Paul Pioneer Press
County Wikipedia Information Links - Red River Valley
County Government Links - Red River Valley
- Traverse County Government (NACo)
- Wilkin County Government
- Clay County Government
- Norman County Government
- Polk County Government
- Marshall County Government
- Kittson County Government
State and County Geospatial Offices
County Emergency Management Links - Red River Valley
- Burleigh County Department of Emergency Management
WMS services are set up to provide access to air photos and other grid-cell data without users having to download and store large files on their own computers. The services are intended primarily for people using geographic information systems (GIS) software. Click here for instructions on connecting to a service using several commonly used GIS software packages.
Geospatial Image Server from the Minnesota Land Management
in UTM coordinates
- Air photos, statewide: 2008, 2003, 1991-92
- Topographic quad maps
- North Dakota GIS website lists available WMS services
National Guard Bureau RaSOR-EM
Compendium of state, county and city government information for response personnel. Simple, Flash-driven maps with links to more extensive background information. Available to anyone with a government email address.
website for Emergency Preparedness Committee members to share
A History of Flooding in the Red River Basin: U.S. Geological Survey
poster, September 2007 (PDF, 4.9 MB)
- Three-dimensional perspective image of the basin showing elevation shading, tributaries, cities, and USGS gaging station locations
- Description of landform and weather factors that contribute to flooding in this region
- Streamflow graphs
- Photos of historic floods
These links are provided as a community service and the GCGI and EPC do not expressly endorse or recommend usage of materials found on these sites.
Last updated March 18, 2010
Return to Emergency Preparedness Committee page