NAIP 2009 county mosaics, Minnesota: File Details
When you download a compressed county mosaic of NAIP 2009
aerial photography, you will have a zip file that covers one county. The naming convention for the download file is: "naip09_county name.zip"
(for example, McLeod County is "naip09_mcleod.zip").
Unzip the download file to extract the
- Imagery files: the 3-band image in
(.sid extension), its accompanying header file (.sdw extension) and a processing file created by the
compression software. The target encoding ratio (amount of image compression)
- Each file is named "ortho_1-1_1n_s_mncounty code_2009_1",
where "county code" is the
For example, the files covering Brown County are:
- "ortho_1-1_1n_s_mn015_2009_1.sid" -- the image file;
- "ortho_1-1_1n_s_mn015_2009_1.sdw" -- the header file;
- "ortho_1-1_1n_s_mn015_2009_1.txt" -- the processing file, including the
- "ortho_1-1_1n_s_mn015_2009_1.aux" -- the auxiliary file that holds projection
information (this file has an .xml extension if downloaded from the NRCS
Geospatial Data Gateway).
- Seamline shapefiles (including dates when imagery was flown): The image file is also accompanied by a shapefile of
polygons delineating seamline boundaries between imagery used to create the
county mosaic (these seamlines do not follow quarter-quad boundaries as they
have in previous years).
all 89 seamline shapefiles (3 for St. Louis County) in a separate
zipfile (883 K) without having to download all the county mosaics.
- IDAT: Date the image defined by the seam boundary was flown
- SDAT: Start date the image was flown
- EDAT: End date the image was flown
- CAM_TYPE: Camera type
- CAM_MAN: Camera manufacturer
- CAM_MOD: Camera model
- SENSNUM: Sensor head or lens serial number
- SHAPEAREA: Seam polygon area measurement
- Metadata: documentation for the data set:
This record, created by MnGeo from information supplied by FSA, applies to the entire NAIP 2009
addition to the HTML format, two other formats (.lgr and .xml) are provided
for users who may need to edit the documentation (see the readmeta.txt
file included with the download file for more explanation of these formats).
- FSA metadata, one file per county image and per seamline shapefile. These files have a .met
extension (or an .xml extension if downloaded from the NRCS Geospatial
- NOTICE.TXT: MnGeo's standard distribution
Return to MnGeo's NAIP09 County Mosaics