Mission: Act as a coordinating body for the Minnesota geospatial community.
The council must represent a cross-section of organizations that include counties, cities, universities, business, nonprofit organizations, federal and state agencies, tribal government, and other stakeholder groups that benefit from geospatial technology.
Examples of Coordination:
Authorization: Officially created as the "Statewide" Geospatial Advisory Council, but doing business as the Minnesota Geospatial Advisory Council. Legislation passed in 2009; reauthorized in 2014 Statutes (16E.30, subd. 8)
Meetings are held 4 times a year and are open to the public.
- 2 State agency representatives
- 1 Mn GIS/LIS Consortium representative
- 1 University of Minnesota representative
- 1 MnSCU representative
- 1 MetroGIS representative
- 1 Metropolitan Council representative
- 1 Greater Minnesota regional government representative
- 1 Twin Cities metro (7-county region) county representative
- 1 Greater Minnesota county representative
- 1 Twin Cities metro (7-county region) city representative
- 1 Greater Minnesota city representative
- 1 K-12 education organization representative
- 2 Federal agency representatives
- 1 Minnesota tribal government representative
- 1 Minnesota non-profit organization representative
- 2 Minnesota business representatives
- 4 At-large representatives
In addition to the appointed members, the council includes the state chief geospatial information officer as a non-voting, ex-officio member.
council is supplemented and supported
by work teams and technical committees that had previously functioned under the
auspices of the Minnesota Governor’s Council on
Geographic Information. Non-council members are welcome and encouraged to
participate on committees.