Public Utilities Infrastructure Information for Minnesota
Use this site to find GIS data, maps and statistics that show information about Minnesota's public utilities infrastructure.
- Electric power
- Natural gas, oil and ethanol
- Water and sewer
- Additional resources
- 2006: Wind speed, capacity factor and energy production maps and wind speed GIS data.
- FAA database: A primary data source for the location of large wind farms is the FAA's Obstruction Evaluation/Airport Airspace Analysis database. Instructions: At the FAA website, select "Download Archives" from the menu on the left. Then select "Off Airport Cases", Region = AGL, then the year the permits were filed (for the AGL code, we suggest starting with 1998 and going through 2008), then select the download button. Repeat the process using Region = WTE for 2008 - the present (the AGL code includes many features other than wind turbines; wind turbines were first treated as a separate category with the WTE code in 2008). The data files are in .CSV format; they encompass the U.S. so you will have to select for the Minnesota facilities.
Geothermal Data System: Catalog of documents and datasets that
provide information about geothermal resources
- National Geothermal Data System: Catalog of documents and datasets that provide information about geothermal resources
U.S. hydrogen maps:
Maps and GIS data
- U.S. hydrogen maps: Maps and GIS data
- Electric transmission lines and substations, 60 Kilovolts or
- Map: downloadable PDF
- GIS data: must be requested
- CapX 2020
project: A joint initiative of 11 transmission-owning utilities
in Minnesota and the surrounding region to expand the electric
transmission grid to ensure continued reliable service.
- Maps of new transmission lines under construction in Minnesota and the surrounding region (under "Projects")
- Upper Midwest Transmission Development Initiative final report 9/29/10: Regional transmission planning effort included Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. The report includes two general maps of possible renewable resource areas and potential transmission corridors.
- Minnesota Electric Transmission Planning:
map of planning zones
- Electric transmission lines and substations, 60 Kilovolts or greater Updated 8/16
- Regional and national
- U.S. natural gas pipeline maps
- North American Electric Power System map and GIS data: available for purchase
Electric Power Generation and Transmission Systems of the U.S.
and Canada map and
available for purchase
- Detailed official statewide electric utility service area boundaries are available. With funding from the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission (PUC), MnGeo had the original paper boundary maps scanned and converted them to a GIS format. The PUC and electric utility companies operating in Minnesota have reviewed the data, although some boundary changes are still being updated and continue to be under review.
- Edison Electric Institute member companies service territories map: The institute is the association that represents all U.S. investor-owned electric companies.
Utility service territories map: available for purchase
Natural gas pipeline locations
- National Pipeline Mapping System (NPMS)
The NPMS GIS data set is overseen by the U.S. Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration working with other federal and state agencies and the pipeline industry. It contains the location and selected attributes of the major gas transmission and hazardous liquid transmission pipelines, and liquefied natural gas (LNG) facilities operating in United States and other offshore entities. Distribution of NPMS GIS data is limited to pipeline operators and local, state, and federal government officials.
- About U.S. Natural Gas Pipelines: Maps and tables
- Interactive U.S. pipeline map of INGAA members (Interstate Natural Gas Association of America)
- North American natural gas system maps and GIS data: available for purchase
North American natural gas maps and GIS data: available for purchase
- National Pipeline Mapping System (NPMS) (restricted distribution)
Natural gas utility service areas
MnGeo is not aware of any maps or GIS data showing the detailed boundaries of Minnesota's natural gas utility service areas.
North American natural gas distribution map: available for purchase
- North American natural gas distribution map: available for purchase
Oil and Gas fields
- National (no areas are in Minnesota)
Public water supplies are built and administered locally but there is state (Minnesota Department of Health) and federal (Environmental Protection Agency) oversight through the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Minnesota Water Well Construction Code. MDH administers the federal regulations and requires that all public water supplies – community and non-community – report water quality information to them.
- Twin Cities
Make-A-Map: Interactive mapping -- see "Water Supply Planning" theme
- Make-A-Map: Interactive mapping -- see "Water Supply Planning" theme
EPA Envirofacts: Search for sewer system locations and
information using "SIC Code = 4952"
- EPA Envirofacts: Search for sewer system locations and information using "SIC Code = 4952"
- Twin Cities metropolitan area: Datasets from the Metropolitan Council include sewersheds, sewer interceptor system and waste water treatment plant locations (search on "sewer")
- Long-term wastewater service areas map (Regional Systems category)
- Septic systems by community (Environmental category)
- Local government websites and city GIS contacts list: Look for public works departments or GIS departments
- Utility providers: Minnesota Public Utilities Commission
- Minnesota Department of Commerce Energy
- Gopher State One Call: the One Call notification system established to inform all Minnesota underground facility operators of intended excavation. As the communication link between the excavator and the underground facility operator, it has increased public safety while decreasing underground facility damage, monetary loss, and personal injury by coordinating the locating of underground facilities.
- U.S. Department of Energy
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Xcel Energy power generation maps
- Penwell MAPSearch: Energy maps and GIS data for purchase
- Platts: Energy wall maps and GIS data for purchase
- Midwest ESRI Utility User Group
- Minnesota Department of Health
- Metropolitan Council of the Twin Cities
Return to MnGeo's main Utilities and Telecommunication first-stop information page