Land Ownership Information for Minnesota
|Portion of the Stearns County plat
(Courtesy of Stearns County Auditor / Division of Land Management.
Copyright Stearns County.)
Who owns land in Minnesota? How much is publicly
owned and how much is private? This overview site provides links to
information available to help answer such questions, ranging from property
boundary maps to statewide inventories of public land to fascinating histories of how land ownership patterns
developed over time.
Property boundary basemaps and ownership records are maintained at the county level, usually by the recorder's, assessor's or land surveyor's office. Many counties keep records in digital format and an increasing number of counties are providing property information websites for use by the general public. The boundaries shown on the maps and the GIS data sets are approximate -- they are not substitutes for certified property surveys, legal property descriptions or detailed plat maps. Property records may also be referred to as parcel, cadastral, real estate or real property records.
- Data sources: Online maps, plat books, downloadable data, and county contacts
- Land records modernization efforts
- Property surveys and legal descriptions of land: Information from the Minnesota Society of Professional Surveyors
Parcel Data Transfer Standard for Minnesota
More information on general
Online and printed maps, atlases and reports reveal historical land ownership patterns and describe underlying forces influencing the ownership landscape we see today. View or download digital copies of historic Minnesota township plat maps collected during the original Public Land Survey.
More information on historical
and educational resources
Occasionally, state land is sold. Check the following websites:
- Department of Natural Resources, Land and Minerals Division: frequently-asked questions about land sales and acquisitions
- Department of Transportation: property and buildings for sale
- Department of Administration, Real Estate Services: real estate for sale
Related land sale and property search sites:
location tools of available commercial land, sites and buildings throughout
Minnesota from the Department of Employment and Economic Development
Back to top