The committee was sunset 3/22/17. A new LiDAR/Hydro
committee is being considered.
The committee worked to promote the creation of statewide digital elevation data that is consistently accurate and available to the public, and advises MnGeo.
The Digital Elevation Committee was formed under the auspices of the former Minnesota Governor's Council on Geographic Information on September 20, 2006, continuing the work of Minnesota's Digital Elevation Working Group which functioned for years on a mission to improve Minnesota's elevation data. The LiDAR Research and Education Subcommittee formed in August 2010.
- Maintain the committee's website containing all critical documents, white papers, guidelines, policies and best practices to meet a statewide elevation data goal
- Advise the work team that is overseeing the Minnesota Elevation Mapping Project, especially in the areas of critical technical specifications, data collection costs, and guidelines to guide budgets
- Compile and report on uses of LiDAR and other elevation data in Minnesota
- Work with DNR and others to determine requirements to serve very large elevation databases
- Establish architecture to optimize data access
- Establish governance policies that assign roles and responsibilities for data import, maintenance and access applying that architecture
- Work with the LiDAR Research and Education Subcommittee to review issues relating to standards, user needs for education, and similar topics.
Return to MnGAC committee page